When Frankenpatterning goes wrong ...




















I started this with good intentions, inspired by this dress from an old Burda from 10-2003. 

















I traced the pattern with intention of cutting the front and back as one, but what I hadn't anticipated was that the seams are curved to create shape and so don't sit together flat.  I didn't want this pieced look with my fabric, a luscious stretch velvet from Gorgeous Fabrics that has been in my stash for a couple of years.  I decided to Franken Pattern using three patterns from my stash, two of which are previously unused.  I used the bodice from View D of M5975 with neckline and collar from a very old Kwik Sew 2900 polo neck t shirt pattern I bought at the op shop in Mullumbimby.  The pattern is dated 2000 and appears to be OOP.  I then added on the skirt from V8663 .  As it stands, this is a wadder.  I got it all wrong.

I think I need to take the skirt off and recut it into something slimmer.  I may also change the neckline.  For the moment, it's sitting on Vera in case inspiration strikes.  I'm feeling frustrated after spending much of my weekend tracing, cutting and sewing with nothing to show.

As for the original inspiration pattern, I plan to make one as drafted and I have fabric standing by ready for cutting.  Hopefully, that will work!

Comments

Gail said…
Is it possible that we've been having frankenfurting problems with the same fabric? I've just posted the same or very similar.
Summer Flies said…
Hm, I can't see on the photo where it's wrong but I'll take your word for it. What a shame. I have a beautiful black cotton velvet (is it all cotton?) with little red hearts on it that I love but am too afraid I will ruin it so haven't cut it out.. I've had it years. I hope you can fix it to your liking!
Faye Lewis said…
I know the feeling well. Sometimes I CANNOT get the idea in my head into reality. Frustrating. I hope Vera will whisper something that will be great inspiration for turning your dress into a real winner.
kbenco said…
Vera is not demonstrating the waddingness terribly well, but I believe you. How annoying. I hope you can salvage your lovely fabric.
velosews said…
If you're not happy with the outcome, go with your ideas.

Popular posts from this blog

Flooded in again ...

Popping up