Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Vera's orange dress

I'm pleased to say that I've finished the orange satin Go Patterns 4001 dress. This pattern went together like a dream. I made the size 10, which fits without alteration from the original pattern. I did shorten it considerably because I prefer to wear my dresses mid thigh. This is still a little longer than I usually wear, but the style of the dress needs a little length. The picture is not great as it was hard to photograph satin and not have it reflect. When the whole wardrobe is complete, I'll get someone to take pictures of me wearing it, so hopefully you will be able to see more.


I love this dress! I love this pattern! I already have fabric standing by to make another. It is such a versatile pattern. In a satin like this it makes a great dinner dress, but in a cotton it will make a fantastic summer work dress. I'm going to try it with a few belts and a ribbon as the pattern suggests.
I've also tried it on with the still unfinished swing jacket from last post and I really like the look. I'll post pictures of the two things together when all my hand sewing is complete.
Next up; the Vogue skirt. It's mostly constructed, I just need to put the zip in and the waistband. I decided this morning that I will line the skirt, so that's my first task tonight. Hopefully you will see that in a day or two.
So far, I appear to be on track to finish the JCC by June 30. If the handbag kit I ordered turns up before the weekend, that will be my accessory. If it doesn't, I will go with Plan B; a Vogue cap.
I am waivering about the top. I'm thinking of changing my mind about it and making something else ...

Monday, June 16, 2008

Vera's new jacket





Here's my dummy, Vera, modelling what will be her new jacket when it finally gets finished. So far, the shell is constructed and the lining sewn in. Neither the sleeves or bottom have been hemmed and the shoulder pads aren't sewin in yet because I want to try another pair and see if they are a better shape.

These pictures show Vera's jacket with no buttons, two large buttons and four smaller buttons. I'm still deciding on which and how many. The big and small buttons are the same, even though they look like different colours. They are vintage and unused, from a great op shop score some years ago. I think I'm leaning to the four smaller ones.


I've lined the jacket with orangey gold satin and I used the same fabric for the pocket bag to reduce the bulk, but also because I like seeing the satin peek out from the pocket to help break up the solidness of the jacket a little.
I've still got a long way to go on this capsule, but I don't feel too bad because the rest of the garments are easier than this one!


Wednesday, June 4, 2008

June Capsule Contest

I've started this blog to try and keep myself on track with the June Capsule Contest I have entered. The goal is to make a four piece wardrobe and one accessory and they all have to match!


So far, my sewing has always been very random and not at all thought out. I see a pattern I like and I buy it, with no thought as to fabric choice. I see a piece of fabric I like and I buy it, with no thought as to what I will actually make out of it. As a result, I have boxes and boxes of fabric and patterns that I've collected over the years and never used because they don't go with anything.


In entering the June Capsule Contest, I am determined to make use of some of my rather large fabric stash at the same time as getting into the habit of making garments that actually match other things. I've tried to plan for full SWAPs but they are beyond me at the moment, so I am getting in training with a smaller wardrobe. If this works for me, I will just keep adding as I go.


The June Capsule Contest has a twist: no black. That turned out to be easier than expected.


So, without further ado, here is the story board for my June Capsule Contest. It has the rather unimaginative title, Tropical Winter.